Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mighty May and Getting Down and Dirty!!!!

It has been a nutty time the last few weeks.  I am working on getting refocused on my diet and exercise program.  This has got me back to within 1 pound of my lowest in October and .2% body fat.

I also hit record miles this month!  I ran/walked 50.75 miles this month.  How insane is that right?  I can hardly believe it.  Goal is to up it 10% a month so shooting for 57 miles in June.

Today, June 1st was the Merrell Down and Dirty!
 This is my "warm up" for the Spartan Super this fall.  I wanted to see where my weak spots are and to help boost my confidence.

I feel great with my finish- I was able to do all the challenges.  I am VERY glad for all the step-ups the trainer has made me do as it helped me on the Ladder Climb since the first rung was around (forgive the reference) crotch high. And all the Cargo nets......   and the Rock Wall.... and the rope climb.....   And all the squats, and the lunges and EVERYTHING.  All the hard work showed today. 

**NOTE- none of these are me.  Wanted to get the blog while it is fresh in my mind so pulled stock pics off the site.

 

My weaknesses to work on?  1. Hills.  I must learn to run up and down grassy hills.  STEEP grassy hills.
2.  Faith in myself.  The ladder wall, I hit it, got up it, got to the top and FROZE!  The volunteer on the other side spotted it and hopped right up the wall and talked me threw it.  By the time I got to the Massive two-level cargo net I was feeling better.  Up the first level, roll across the flat.  Up the second level, start rolling and OMG......   Get to the edge and look down.  Gut check again.  GOT IT!

The rockwall-- I worried all night and hardly slept.  I hit it and BAM!  All I have to do it find foot placement on things and UP I GO!  These big thighs of mine hold a TON of power.  My shoulders and arms are a little achy but I didn't have to rely on my upper body for most of the obstacles.


NOW- to give you a bit of my actual pics.

Pre-race
\
Finish line
 and once I caught my breath


Got TWO medals (1 for my iRun4 buddy I am waiting on a match for)


And at first I only had a few bruises...
But now they are multiplying and getting a bit.... brighter?

I am feeling amazing though and can't wait for the next one!  And love the challenge of the OCR more than the distance running!  Might just be a bit of an addict.

(OCR stands for obstacle course race for those wondering)

Not fast... but was fabulous!


No comments:

Post a Comment