Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Lessons learned-listening to others = less pain

Just got back from a "run".  That still goes in quotes because my intervals are 45 seconds of running followed by 3 minutes if walking.  So basically I am running 20% of the time.  Feels good to be able to say that!

So, to explain the title of this post.

I follow a lot of other runners posts and blogs.  I am a nurse.  (Yes, even if I don't see or talk to patients I am still one!). I have exercised off and on for years and should know some things.

This weeks lesson's learned:

1.  If you get HORRID shin pain at the onset of your walking-loosen up your front 1/2 of your shoes laces!  Credit to Kim Scheips!!!

2.  Do not drink ice cold water if you get nauseated when exercising.  Used room temp before and during run....  Did not feel like barfing!!  Credit to Dani Vitale!

3.  If you make funny noises and cough when running and your Doctor gives you an inhaler....  USE IT!  Credit to Alex Smith (Anke's son after me telling him during the RNR we had to pause a minute cause I couldn't breathe.)

Despite it being warm and humid, despite being tired and cranky, I got my 5k in tonight in 52:20.  It was not severely painful, I did not have to stop to prevent vomiting and I did not gasp for air during it.....  Hehe!!!

Need to check with how soon before work out to use Xopenex since it did not kick in until 20 minutes into running and WOW what a difference.

Gonna try it before the gym tomorrow- who knows...  Maybe I will make it more than 6 minutes before yawning....  Trainer now times it to see how long before I yawn.  (Apparently I yawn a lot when I get really winded....)

No comments:

Post a Comment