Saturday, May 11, 2013

Feets of Strength 5k May, 11, 2013

I must be a bad omen for weather and races.  Or at least...... less than seasonal.  It is the middle of May.  It was 48 when I left the house.

Through the course of the race the temperature remained steady, the wind picked up and every once in awhile, it drizzled.  Best part; 1.  I did not put a shirt on under the Tech T-shirt that was in the goodie bag  2.  I decided to leave my jacket in the car because I was CERTAIN it would get warm and I would be too hot and didn't want to carry it and 3.  The shirt was big so anytime there was a brisk wind, it went straight in the arm holes and I felt like I was nakie it was so cold!!



That said, it was a beautiful course - Mooseheart has a gorgeous campus.  Throughout the event, there was a bald eagle flying over head and it was so nice and peaceful. Usually, I fall right between the true runners and the walkers so I have stretches where I do not see anyone in front of me.  This time there was a few other people keeping the same pace with me so it helped pull me along.

The cause is an important one.  Feets of Strength supports the Royal Family Camp where physically and sexually abused children can go to feel safe and be with other's who understand what they went through.  The saddest statistic they shared today was that more than 5 children die in the US everyday from child abuse.  This is up from 3.3 per day only 12 years ago.  If you think a child you know is being abused, report it.  If you want more information on Royal Family Camp, go to http://royalfamilykids.org/


Now.....  I was bad this week. I did not follow my normal eating plan and did ZERO walking.  It definitely made the first mile rough.  Then just after that, the legs loosened up and I found my stride.  The other "lesson learned" is that I need to do more walking on different surfaces and grades.  This one was lots of rolling hills. Not sure what is worse- up the hill or down the hill.  Last lesson (and I can hear all my fit friends and my trainer groan at this part)....... A Venti Caramel Latte and a Banana is NOT a good breakfast before a 5k.




However, all that being said..... I had a better time than last month!!!  Official Finish Time was 52:25:87 with a pace of 16:53.  Shaved 2 minutes and 50 seconds off!!!  Still working to goal of 45:00.



So, it looks bad that I was 169 of the 174.  HOWEVER, that was of the registered RUNNERS!!  There were about 100 walkers behind me.  And, it is 52:25:87 faster than everyone who never started!!!

So, while I am sore and tired it was a great day!!!  Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  This was my gift to myself.  To keep working harder and getting fitter.  Off to email the Trainer with things I want to focus on next workout.


1 comment: