Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fitness, fun and family

PHEW, is it just me or is it HOT outside?

It has been nice having a month between events.  Having a blast this summer and trying to make fitness part of it.  Two weeks ago, found myself particularly restless and had two choices........  watch something on TV or go MOVE MY a$$.  I started the day w/ an 8 mile bike ride and then followed that up w/ a 5 mile walk.  In 90+ degree heat.  FELT AWESOME THOUGH.  Then this past weekend, another 4 mile walk outside. My pace is sucky but know what... I SWEAT MY a$$ off, did it and it felt great!!!!  I may not make my goal of a 4mph pace this summer but hey, if I am improving and moving, it is a WIN!!!!

Starting to love my workouts with the trainer too.  Not sure I have talked much about that here.  I need things to keep me motivated (hence the crazy summer of 5ks......).  The other thing is paying someone each week to FORCE me to exercise outside my comfort zone.  If you can afford it, it is an amazing thing to do.  I only go once per week to the trainer and am on my own the rest of the time.  AJ is a great guy.  He is VERY into Crossfit (to the point he was competing for a while and training involved 1000 burpees in an hour....told him that was nuts and it ain't happening for this girl.)  Well, since I had time between events, he decided it is time to really start to push me outside my comfort zone.  If you would have told me when I started this journey in April I could do what I am doing today..... I might have laughed so hard I would pee myself.

Last week, he pushed me.  We did work w/ weights on a bar (dead lifts, then clean and jerk, then to an overhead press... 3 sets at each level.)  He looks at me "AND NOW, we start the high intensity!".... What?  I thought I was going to DIE at what he told me we were going to do.  Sequence of Burpees/low jumps/kettlebell swings.  Sets are 21 reps, 15, reps, 9 reps.  And for those who struggle with math.... YES-- 45 burpees.  I did it!!! They were not pretty, my time was not stellar but guess what.... I did what I swore at the beginning I could not do.  He is worth every friggin penny.

In addition to the benefit of the workouts I get and the confidence he gives me, there are two other benefits to it that keeps me from cutting it out when I finish this group.

1.  To pay for training, I had to cut things from my budget..... what did I cut- the EATING OUT budget.  I am cooking more at home, even if it is something "quick and dirty" and trying to make more "clean" choices with our food dollars.

2.  I think about what I am putting in my body and what I do to be active.....   If I am putting crap in my mouth all day long and don't work out except w/ the trainer, then I might as well be flushing money down the drain.  So.... I make better choices and make sure to work out in between so I don't waste the money and physical gains those Thursdays w/ AJ give me.


So....... does that mean I am good all the time... HAHAHAHAHA.... Here is the fun and family part.  This past weekend had LOTS of Family.  Escaped to The Forss Hilton (actually, my dad and Margi's house but it is like getting away to a hotel for the weekend they take such great care of us!).  Got to hang w/ them Friday night and go with my Dad to pick up Uncle Ernie at the Airport.  He lives in Colorado and don't get to see him much.  He is my dad's oldest brother and it is so fun to listen to them talk about their lives as children and just seeing them together.

Envision a 66 year old man and a 72 year old man racing through Barnes and Noble to see who can get to the check out first and then trying to get the cashier on their side on what pests older/younger brothers can be....all while I shake my head with embarassment ... and laugh!

Or... having discussed earlier in the day that THEY had ice cream but me, my son and Margi didn't and them saying "well we can go again later".  I look up and it is 9:30pm and am like "HEY-you never got us ice cream".  We literally all JUMPED in the car (5 people, Honda Civic..... 13 year old looking at me like we all lost our mind) in under 2 minutes and raced the clock to get to the ice cream place that is 25 minutes from their house and closed in 30 minutes.... yes, we made it with 3 minutes to spare and then proceeded to eat a sundae made with apple pie ice cream and caramel sauce.   Nice thing about their house is they have a pool so I also swam that morning..... (although my swimming looks like someone trying not to drown really.......)

The next day it was off for more family to celebrate my Aunt's birthday and more fun time w/ family.  Love being w/ the cousins and my family!

This week at work.... it has been a challenge.  Looking forward to the trainer tomorrow -- for 1 hour I cannot think about work, or bills, or pretty much anything as I am trying to remember simply to breath and not fall over.  (Hmmmmm, guess that is another benefit of AJ.  Good thing he does not read this or he might push me harder when he reads about the ice cream....)

This weekend--  the RockNRoll Marathon (doing the mini which is 3 miles) down on the lakefront which should be a great time but even more fun.... Get to see a old friend who was so dear to me in High School (Dani), one of my far-away friends (Anke) and get to meet a virtual friend face to face (Mary)!  So cannot wait. GIRL TIME!!!!!!  (And a 3 mile event on the beautiful lakefront......BONUS)


No comments:

Post a Comment